Gallatin

                       fire Protection District



1946

Second motorized fire truck purchased 

1946 Ford Triple Combination Fire Truck





purchased from Central Fire Truck Corp. St Louis, MO    Delivered December 5th, 1945

2004

1977 Dodge 4x4 pickup, brush truck





acquired from Dept. of Conservation July 2004

retired/returned to Conservation July 2007










Fire Service FIRST'S:

First Volunteer Fire Company in America
In 1736 in Philadelphia, PA, Benjamin Franklin formed the first volunteer fire company, called the Union Fire Company. Franklin served on it as America's first volunteer fire chief.

First Paid Fire Department in America
A large fire in Boston in 1679, led to the organization of the first paid fire department in North America, if not the world. Boston selectman imported a fire engine from England and employed a fire chief, Thomas Atkins, and 12 fire fighters to operate it.

First Firehouse Pole
David B. Kenyon, Captain of Engine Company No. 21 of the Chicago Fire Department, was the inventor of the sliding pole in 1878. Information from: A Synoptical History of the Chicago Fire Department, published by the Benevolent Association of the Paid Fire Department of Chicago, Chicago, 1908.

First Automatic Sprinkler
The idea of automatic sprinkler protection dates back to about 1860. The first automatic sprinkler system patented in the United States was developed by Philip W. Pratt in 1872 in Abington, MA. From 1852 to 1885, perforated pipe systems were used extensively in textile mills throughout New England, and from 1874 to 1878 Henry S. Parmalee of New Haven, Connecticut, continued design improvements on his invention: the first practical automatic sprinkler head.

First Fire Alarm Telegraph
The fire alarm telegraph was invented by William F. Channing of Boston, MA, and Moses G. Farmer of Salem, MA, in 1847. After many attempts, Channing was successful in getting the city of Boston to agree to test the device. Channing, working with Farmer, tested the system, solved the problems, and installed the first municipal fire alarm system using a telegraph in Boston, MA, in 1852.

In 1893 after citizens of Gallatin expressed the need a volunteer fire company was formed. It consisted of 1 Chief and 10 members operating with 1 engine and 1 hook and ladder wagon. The need was evident due to many building fires in recent years in homes and businesses. Later formally named Gallatin Fire Department.

Prior to the volunteer fire company being organized, homeowners or anyone wanting to help utilized this equipment and the bucket brigades to assist the town and neighbors when a building fire occurred.

Since approximately 1893 the volunteer firemen were paid a small fee for fires attended. Throughout the years there has always been a roster of 10 to 20 firefighters. In the early 1970’s through 1995, firefighters received $10 per call and $5 for meetings/trainings attended. From 1995 through 2001, the amount went to $20 per call and $10 for meetings/trainings attended. In 2001, when the Fire District was incorporated all volunteer firefighters voted to cease per call pay and have funds go towards upgrading equipment.

The Gallatin Fire Department purchased its first motorized pumper truck in 1921. It was a 40hp combination motor fire truck with 950 ft. of 2 1/2" hose and 36 ft. of ground ladders.

Later they operated with a 1946 Ford Pumper truck. The Ford Triple Combination Fire Truck was purchased from Central Fire Truck Corp. St Louis, MO and was delivered December 5th, 1945. After a county wide fire district failed to organize, in the mid 1950’s, the Gallatin fire force received a 1957 Pumper truck from Towers Fire Apparatus on a 1956 Chevrolet chassis.

In 1972, a brand new “71” Ford Pumper fire truck was delivered from Boardman Fire Trucks. Other additions were received through the Missouri Department of Conservation, both being Army surplus vehicles. A 1967 MASH ambulance was converted into a personnel carrier and firefighting equipment was added. Nicknamed “Ironsides”, the vehicle can be used in conjunction with the Community Ambulance Service of Daviess County to provide stretcher aid. A 1956 GMC 6x6 Army vehicle had been fitted with two new aluminum 600 gallon tanks and other gear. So much labor was involved in upgrading the 6x6 that the truck has been nicknamed “Blood, Sweat, and Tears” then later renamed “Snoopy”. Gallatin’s firefighting equipment and force coupled with the city’s water service helped to maintain an insurance rating of eight (8) on the insurance industry’s scale of ten. That rating influenced premium costs for residential and commercial businesses within city limits.

In 2001, the Gallatin Fire Protection District was approved by voters, which included a 30 cent tax levy. After the district formed a goal was set to attempt to have the rating reduced for property owners and residents. A survey was requested from ISO to address this goal and finally it had been achieved in 2003. A rating of six (6) was assigned to the City and rural areas of the district were rated as nine (9). In 2015, we were reassigned to 6/6Y.

In Gallatin, there have only been four fire stations throughout history, soon we will have a fifth.

From 1893 to 1926, the first fire station was located in the back of city hall, under the water tower at South Main and Van Buren Street (alley side). A fire destroyed the city hall wood buildings in 1926. A temporary station was then located from 1926-1929 in the northeast corner of the Gallatin Ford Motor Co. at North Main and East Berry (formerly North Street).

In 1929, city hall moved to its current location at 112 E. Grand Street, in the old YMCA building. Fire trucks were housed in the backside with one bay door.

In 1980, fire trucks were moved to their current location at 202 N. Water St. This station has two meeting rooms, two bathrooms, three apparatus bay doors on main level, and four apparatus bay doors in the basement accessed from the backside.

A new fire station project was launched in October 2014, and is currently in progress today. In the past, buildings were adapted to be used to house fire apparatus. This is the first building to be constructed solely as a fire station. The new station, located at 207 S. Market Street, will hopefully be completed by spring 2017. The new building has five apparatus bay doors on the west side and two on the north.

When the new fire station is completed, there will be a decommission ceremony held for the current fire station and a commission ceremony will be held, putting the new fire station in service.

1996

1977 Dodge 4x4 (military ambulance)

brush truck





acquired 1996, retired/returned to Dept. of Conservation 2007

1979

1967 MASH ambulance 3/4 ton 4x4, nicknamed "Ironsides"







Acquired 10/31/1979, retired/returned to Dept. of Conservation in 1997

1921

First motorized fire truck purchased - one 40hp combination motor fire truck with 950 ft. of 2 1/2" hose, 36 ft. of ground ladders.

one 40 gallon chemical hand truck, 100 ft. of 3/4" rubber hose.

Old fire apparatus of two hose carts

one Hook & Ladder Truck (out of commission).





1972

1971 Ford Boardman Fire Engine





Reserve Engine

1905

One hand Hook & Ladder Truck, two Hand Hose Carts, 1000' 2 1/2" hose, 12 Volunteer Fireman

2008

1985 Chevrolet 4x4 1 ton pickup

brush truck





acquired from Dept. of Conservation March 2008

retired/sold by bid April 2015

HISTORY OF FIRE CHIEF'S


A. F. Seller (20 yrs, early 1900's)

Bob Davis

Ivan Wilder

Bill Shafer

Buster Gordon

Eddie Elbert

Jackie Jones

Roy Hillman (1963-1990)

Harold Walker (1990-1991)

Gary Hamilton (1991-1993)

Eric Kloepping (1993-2001)

Doug Hamilton (2001- present)


1987

1967 Jeep 4x4 pickup brush truck






Placed In service August 1987                            Eric Kloepping (left), Roy Hillman, Chief (right)

retired/returned to Dept. of Conservation in 1997


1978 Ford Van, Rescue Squad (acquired 1987, retired ambulance from Community Ambulance District of Daviess County.






retired/given to Lake Viking Fire in Feb. 2003

2003

1977 Dodge 4x4 pickup, brush truck





acquired from City of Gallatin Aug. 2003

retired/sold by bid July 2007

1957

1957 Chevrolet Fire Engine





purchased from Towers Fire Apparatus

removed from service in 1994

District still owns and uses as parade truck

1898

One hand Hook & Ladder Truck, one Hand Engine, one new Hose Cart, 1000' 2 1/2" hose





12 Volunteer Fireman

Fire Apparatus that served us in past years...

100% All Volunteer Firefighters

Daviess County, MO

Since 1893 volunteer firefighters have courageously protected the town of Gallatin and rural areas surrounding it.

1982-1983

Two willy's Jeep 4x4 brush buggies






one placed In service 1982 & one in 1983

sold one to Weatherby Fire & one to Lake Viking Fire in 1992

Proudly Serving Since 1893

EMERGENCY DIAL 911 

1893


one hand Hook & Ladder Truck,



one Hand Engine, 150' 2" hose,



12 Volunteer Fireman

1997

1969 Kaiser 6x6

nicknamed "Snoopy II"

brush/tanker truck





acquired 1996 from Dept. of Conservation

placed into service in 1997

retired/sold January 2015

1979

1956 GMC 6x6, nicknamed "Snoopy"








Acquired 10/31/1979, retired/returned to Dept. of Conservation in 1997