100% All Volunteer Firefighters

Daviess County, MO

Proudly Serving Since 1893

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning                     Carbon Monoxide(PDF)

About 230 people die each year from CO poisoning related to fuel burning household appliances, such as furnaces, space heaters, water heaters, clothes dryers, kitchen ranges, wood stoves and fireplaces.

Each year, approximately 25 people die and hundreds more suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning when they burn charcoal in enclosed areas such as their homes - in a bedroom or living room for heat or cooking. Some also burn charcoal in campers or vans, or in tents.

When inhaled, carbon monoxide, a tasteless, odorless gas, is easily absorbed into the blood. The gas is lethal when it replaces the amount of oxygen needed to sustain heart and brain function.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, and nausea, are often dismissed as a "touch of the flu," even by doctors.


·  Never use a vented-type heater without proper venting and flue (chimney).

·  Follow manufacturer's recommendations for the proper size heater and for its installation, maintenance and use. Have it professionally installed, if possible.

·  Have your heater installation checked by a building inspector, or gas company before lighting.

·  Never use a heater that is in disrepair. Always keep your heater in proper operating condition.

·  Turn off the heater if the burner flame looks strange, i.e., yellow flames, unsteady flames, or smoky flames.

·  Turn off the heater, ventilate the room and get into the fresh air if you feel other than normal, i.e., headache, nausea, fuzzy vision--remember CO does not have a odor and you may become unconscious before you realize there is a problem.

·  Make sure the venting system is open--a blocked vent can cause your space heater to exhaust CO into your living space.

·  Never sleep in a room where a gas heater is burning.·  Do not operate a gas heater in a completely 'tight' room. The heater needs a source of fresh air to operate safely and efficiently. 'Crack' a window, if needed.

Smoke Alarms save lives !
Every Bedroom Needs a Working Smoke Alarm...

...and every level in your home needs a working smoke alarm

Dry (Christmas) Tree vs. High Moisture Tree Fire

The U.S. Fire Administration partnered with the National Institute of Standards and Technology's (NIST) Building and Fire Research Laboratory to illustrate on video the dramatic affects of fire when it ignites a maintained (wet) cut Christmas tree and a dry tree.


Electric Space Heaters

Portable electric heaters, while seemingly harmless, are responsible for 2600 fires and 130 deaths annually. These heaters are not substitutes for central heating. Nor are they designed for extended use.

·  All types must be kept at least 36 inches from anything that can burn, including furniture, bedding, clothing, pets and people.

·  Space heaters must not be left operating when you are not in the room, or when you go to sleep.

·  Children should be supervised at all times when space heaters are in use.

·  Do not put drying clothing or combustibles over heaters.·  Check for fraying or splitting wires, or overheating. Have problems repaired by a professional before operating the space heater.

Cooking Fire Safety

Kitchen Fire Safety (PDF)

  • Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years.

  • Make sure you know how old all the smoke alarms are in your home.

  • To find out how old a smoke alarm is, look at the date of manufacture on the back of the alarm; the alarm should be replaced 10 years from that date.

Fire Safety Tips (PDF)   for parents

911 Address - Public Awareness

Visible house numbers are helpful in Emergencies For responders to find your house in a timely manner, help by installing your address numbers.

If you need a reflective address

sign for your mailbox,

we can assist you with this.

Hands Only CPR Intro 

Hands-Only CPR is CPR without mouth-to-mouth breaths. It is recommended for use by people who see a teen or adult suddenly collapse in an “out-of-hospital” setting (such as at home, at work or in a park). It consists of two easy steps:

    1.   Call 9-1-1 (or send someone to do that).
    2.   Push hard and fast in the center of the chest.

Fire Safety Tips (PDF)   for homeowners and renters


The United States Consumer Product Safety Committee estimates about 22,000 house fires are caused by space heaters each year. With safety top-of-mind, our researchers tested the leading models. They weeded out unsafe heaters while also taking into consideration both the price and quality of heating, so we’re excited to share the findings with you:   read more here


                           fire Protection DistricT

Wood Stoves

Wood and coal burning have also been responsible for many home heating accidents. Wood stoves, fireplaces, and their chimney assemblies are estimated to account for more than 100,000 residential fires every year, resulting in almost 200 deaths. The dangers associated with this type of heating system are fire and burns resulting from improper installation and creosote buildup.

When installing a wood stove, make certain that it is placed on the surface and at the distance from the wall recommended by the manufacturer.

Most wood heating fires have occurred in the chimney. Such fires can result from poorly constructed or damaged masonry chimneys, poor installation of factory built chimneys or the ignition of creosote, a tar-like residue which builds up in chimneys over time and is caused by low temperature fires.

To reduce the risk of fire, existing masonry chimneys should be inspected and repaired if necessary. Also, special care must be taken when installing a factory-built chimney to ensure it is kept the required distance from nearby combustible materials. People should have their chimneys checked by a qualified chimney sweep before, as well as during, the heating season to prevent a dangerous creosote buildup and resultant chimney fire.

At the same time, both the fireplace and chimney should be checked for structural integrity. And as a final precaution, never burn trash, charcoal or plastics in your wood burning appliance. These items can overheat your stove or fireplace causing a fire. They can also cause a buildup of pollutants when burned in a fireplace. Always make sure the area is properly ventilated.